Checking Vital Signs
Throughout the life of every congregation, we must periodically ask the crucial questions: “Are we being obedient to God’s call for our church?” and “Are we willing to reach our full potential?” And for some congregations, there comes a critical time when we must assess how, and if, we are able and willing to make needed changes to fulfill God’s ministry through our church.
The Checking Vital Signs Facilitation Seminar and Coaching is designed to facilitate multiple local congregations through the assessment process outlined in paragraph 213 of The Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church to assess faithfully the congregation’s potential and willingness to move boldly forward in ministry within their community. The seminar and coaching will utilize the Checking Vital Signs curriculum by Dr. Nancy Rankin. (Note: while the curriculum is written for United Methodist congregations, the work is applicable for any congregation.)
Congregations participating in the Checking Vital Signs Seminar and Coaching will develop:
- Formation and implementation of an Assessment Task Force for each local congregation.
- Biblical skills to navigate effectively through various stages of their life and ministry together.
- Clear understanding of their neighbors, their needs, and the congregation’s unique ability to respond.
- Clear understanding of the fiscal strengths and liabilities of the congregation.
- Thorough review and assessment of current ministry strategies and leadership strengths and liabilities.
- Assessment of other neighboring churches’ strengths and focus for ministry.
- Written 213 Assessment Report including recommendations for how the congregation should move forward in ministry (in preparation of report being presented to the local congregation).
All content Copyright © 2012 by Plowpoint, Inc.
ISSN 2154-2864 (Online)
Plowpoint: Checking Vital Signs
The Ministry of Plowpoint PO Box 979 Graham, North Carolina 27253 336.226.0282